The housing we want to see
We aim to increase the availability of decent, affordable homes for people in housing need.
To us, decent homes:
- don’t damage or pose a risk people’s physical or mental health
- aren’t overcrowded, meaning that there is space for everyone to have privacy and peace, as well as the ability to enjoy themselves, work or study
- allow people to sleep, wash, cook, eat and socialise in comfort
- offer stability and certainty to allow people to put down roots in a community and know that they belong.
For us, genuinely affordable homes are homes where the housing costs:
- are reasonable so that people can still afford the essentials (eg heating, water, food, transport, social and cultural participation)
- don’t push people into or deeper into poverty, by leaving them without any money.